Garage Trends to Watch In 2021
It’s safe to say that everyone is ready to leave 2020 behind. So, let’s take a glimpse into 2021 and discuss what’s going to be hot next year in the world of garages. Whether you’re a homeowner or a contractor, you’ll love these practical yet on-trend ideas.
Trend #1: Garage Conversions
Throughout the pandemic, homeowners have found themselves in need of more space as they work, learn and exercise from home. Since we’re unable to leave the house as often as we used to, it’s important we make the best use of our available space so family members can get some much-needed alone time. But when all of the rooms in a house are maxed out, where can a homeowner turn? Garage conversions are big business and there’s no sign they’re going away. Check out these popular trends:
Gyms: Many of us miss going to our gyms but we might not be comfortable taking the risk to work out in one or else the heightened restrictions may be too onerous. Plus, there are fewer gyms open now since many have gone out of business. That’s why a converted garage space is perfect for a home gym. You can work out safely and conveniently, no matter if you like running on a treadmill, lifting weights, or doing yoga. While certain equipment requires a serious investment, there are plenty of bodyweight exercises you can accomplish with minimal cost, especially with the plethora of free or low-cost online workout options that are available nowadays. What features should you consider in a garage gym conversion?
- Heating and cooling, depending on your climate. A ductless mini split is a great option for ensuring your workout space is comfortable throughout the year.
- Storage for workout equipment is important so your space stays organized and looks nice. Wall-mounted racks are convenient for securely hanging heavier items while cabinets and drawers can be used for accessories and smaller equipment.
- A practical new floor means you’ll be enjoying your space for years to come. Renovating a stained, ugly concrete floor is a durable, long-lasting way to pull together your new area. Consider adding rubber floor mats for comfort and to reduce impact.
Offices: If you lack a stand-alone office or a spare bedroom, your garage might be a great place to gain workspace. Start by upgrading the area to ensure it’s comfortable. You might redo a concrete floor by stamping it to mimic stone, tile, wood, or much more. Concrete is extremely versatile and there are many options for creating a beautiful interior floor. Once the flooring is done, decide if your walls need insulation and another layer of drywall to make the space look more polished. Finally, determine what kind of upgrades the garage door will need. There are many options for turning ugly, poorly insulated doors into attractive ones that are well-insulated but also let in plenty of light. Once your space is finished, the fun begins as you can arrange desks, computers, monitors, and seating in a way that inspires you and promotes productivity. Use rugs to add coziness and differentiate separate areas and add bookshelves, pictures on the walls, and plenty of lighting.
She sheds and He sheds: Most of us need a little extra space these days. If you’re needing more room for self-care, hobbies, or whatever else you enjoy, take the same steps listed above to create a comfortable inside space. Then, the options are nearly limitless for what you can do! Consider a space for:
- Crafts or hobbies
- A home theater
- Meditation or yoga
- Gaming (either video games or board games)
- A home library
- Art or writing
Trend #2: Extra Storage
If your home is starting to feel a little cramped, consider using your garage to declutter the rest of your space. Be clever about your organization and you might be able to store a lot of extra items in the garage. Most garages have an excess of unused vertical space, so wall-mounted shelving systems are a smart way to make the most of the area while saving floor space for larger items, like your cars! Track systems and hooks are another good option for getting large or unwieldy items out of the way. Cabinets or storage racks with bins are perfect for hiding odds-and-ends or items you don’t want to look at.
Make sure to use the ceiling if you’re able to. Ceiling-mounted racks are great storage for infrequently used items like holiday décor. By creating garage storage, you’ll free up your closets and other crowded areas in your home. Kick back and relax in a spacious and tidy house!
Trend #3: Amped Up Aesthetics
Ok, this is why we’re here – we love talking about a beautiful concrete garage floor! There are so many pros to a concrete floor. Concrete floors are incredibly durable. Hard and strong, they’re not easily damaged and are therefore not only suitable for heavy cars and equipment but for most any type of use. Plus, they’re fairly easy to maintain when properly sealed. The ability to add radiant heat underneath is a definite bonus when concrete is used in interior projects. But in our humble opinion, the decorative options of concrete are its biggest benefit:
- The texture options of concrete, achieved by using Proline stamping tools, are numerous and vary widely. Whether you want the look of stone, reclaimed wood, tile, or cobblestone, you’ll find a stamp that’s suited for you. Don’t forget to make the floor special by including a hand-crafted accent piece, a seamless accent piece, or a focal point medallion stamp.
- Colors are another area where concrete shines. A vibrant look is achieved when dyes are added to wet concrete. Stains are perfect when a translucent look is wanted. Color hardeners can be used on fresh concrete for surface coverage. Shop all our color options and find your inspiration.
- Finally, round out your look by polishing your concrete floor to achieve a smooth and shiny finish, or apply an acid stain for a breathtaking marble-like appearance.
Want more inspiration for your stamped concrete project? Check out our beautiful Project Gallery!
Contact Calico Construction Products for Your Garage Floor Needs
If you have a big garage project planned for 2021, contact us at 800-221-9469 or through our online form. Here at Calico, we’re thrilled to offer the full line of high-quality Proline concrete stamps. We take great pride in offering top of the line customer service, attention to detail, industry knowledge, and expertise. Let us help you achieve your dream garage!